Environmental Field Studies Abroad
Our MissionSFS creates transformative study abroad experiences through field-based learning and research. Our educational programs explore the human and ecological dimensions of the complex environmental problems faced by our local partners, contributing to sustainable solutions in the places where we live and work. The SFS community is part of a growing network of individuals and institutions committed to environmental stewardship.
Our VisionWe envision a sustainable world where people understand the complex connections between humans and nature, participate in the responsible stewardship of the environment, and thrive within healthy ecosystems.
The SFS Impact
Local Collaboration, Unparalleled Research, Sustainable Results
SFS, a study abroad organization, is committed to preserving the ecological health and sustainability of the communities in which we work. We believe that the future of our environment depends upon educating, inspiring, and activating people, businesses, and government leaders to be stewards of the environment.
Through our ongoing research efforts and work with our local partners, SFS:
- Identifies environmental issues critical to their communities
- Develops research plans to address them
- Provides high-quality results and recommendations that promote the sustainable use of natural resources upon which these communities depend
The SFS Experience
Making a Difference One Person and One Research Problem at a Time
Each one of us has a valuable role to play in helping to protect our environment for future generations of plant, animal, and human life on earth. Yet tackling big problems can seem daunting, and you might question your ability to make a difference.
Hands-on field experience, practical and transferable research skills, and cross-cultural awareness are only a few of the benefits you will gain through SFS programs that cannot be achieved by simply sitting in a classroom.
As an SFS student, you won't just read about an environmental problem...
- You will be part of an international research team working to solve it, whether you are replanting critically fragmented rainforests in Australia or helping Costa Rican farmers transition to organic agriculture.
- You will develop leadership skills, build self-confidence, and discover the vital role you can play in the larger global community.
- You will develop personal relationships with members of the local community, putting a human face on the environmental problems you are studying, which is often the most rewarding part of the SFS experience.
- You will be challenged and inspired by the work you do. Your work will make a real difference in a local community and make a positive contribution toward the sustainable use of the world's natural resources. When you finish an SFS program, you will not only walk away with the education of a lifetime, you will never view the world – or yourself – the same way again.
Come join the growing network of individuals and institutions committed to environmental stewardship.