Important Things To Know
- SFS has rolling admissions, so there is no application deadline. Be sure to check with your home school for their requirements and deadlines. SFS is currently accepting applications for all Summer 2016, Fall 2016, and Spring 2017 programs.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to participate in an SFS program.
- You must be in good academic and disciplinary standing on your home campus.
- We recommend that students complete one semester of college prior to the start of the program, but gap-year students are welcome to apply, provided they fulfill the prerequisites.
- Recent college graduates are welcome to apply.
- Any Session I summer course (Bhutan excluded) can be paired with any Session II course to gain field experience in two countries and ecosystems. Please contact SFS Admissions with questions about pairing summer sessions in different countries.
Please review the following admission prerequisites and policies to confirm eligibility. If you have questions about whether a course you have taken fulfills SFS prerequisites, please contact an SFS Admissions Counselor.
- One college-level ecology, biology, or environmental studies/science course (or related coursework, as assessed by SFS) with a grade of C or better prior to the start of an SFS semester program
- There are no course prerequisites for summer programs.
- For SFS semester programs in Costa Rica, Panama, and Peru, your program experience will be enhanced if you have at least one semester of college-level Spanish (or three years of high school Spanish).
- Students are encouraged, but not required, to have taken coursework in statistics, anthropology, international development, and economics.
- Applicants for semester programs should have a cumulative GPA of 2.8 at minimum (2.6 for summer programs). Students with GPAs slightly below this mark are still encouraged to apply.
Before You Apply
- Check with your home school for their requirements and deadlines.
- Please make sure you hold a valid passport that will not expire until at least six months after your planned return home. Apply for or renew your passport as soon as possible. It's best not to wait until after acceptance to SFS to apply or renew, because this can cause delays in processing visas and making flight arrangements for some programs.
- Before you begin filling out your application, we suggest that you collect the following information. If you are under 18 years of age, you must have a parent or guardian sign your application.
- Names of the individuals who will complete your SFS reference forms
- Courses you intend to use to fulfill SFS prerequisite requirements (if applicable)
- Credit card information (for application fee)
1. We encourage you to apply online. You can also download a PDF of the application for printing. SFS is currently accepting applications for all Summer 2016, Fall 2016, and Spring 2017 programs. Please use the 2016-2017 application to apply to all programs.
2. Pay non-refundable application fee of $50 (credit card number required for online application). If paying by check, please make it payable to "The School for Field Studies" and send to:Tanja Berbic
The School Field Studies
100 Cummings Center, Suite 534-G
Beverly, MA 01915
3. Submit the online Reference Request Form. Click Here to Access the Online Reference Request Form. You can also download a "smart" PDF of the reference forms (see "Download Resources" on right-hand side of the page), which can be submitted electronically using Adobe Acrobat, mailed, or faxed to the SFS Admissions Office.
SFS Academic Reference should be completed by a teacher, professor or academic advisor who is well acquainted with your current academic performance.
SFS Character Reference should be completed by someone who knows you well, such as an academic source, a job supervisor, volunteer advisor, athletic coach, etc. It is not appropriate for this reference to be completed by a relative, peer, or family friend.
4. Request current, official transcripts from all schools attended. It is not necessary for college students to submit high school transcripts after a full academic year of college coursework has been completed.
Many colleges and universities now issue official transcripts electronically. If your university offers this option, you may request for your electronic official transcript to be sent to email@example.com. If this is not an option for you, please have your official transcript sent via mail to SFS.
5. Complete the Participation Approval Form (not part of online process): obtain approval from your institution's study abroad office. All students must submit a completed Transcript Request Form (Page 3). This form provides the necessary information about where to send an official SFS transcript after completion of an SFS program.
- Students who will earn direct credit for their SFS program will receive one official SFS transcript at the address provided on the Transcript Request Form. An unofficial copy will be sent to your permanent home address as provided on the SFS Application.
- Students who will earn University of Minnesota credit for their SFS program will receive one official transcript at the address provided on the Transcript Request Form 2-4 weeks following the conclusion of the program.
Send supporting documents (Transcripts, Participation Approval Form, References if not completed online) to:
The School for Field Studies
100 Cummings Center, Suite 534-G
Beverly, MA 01915
Important: SFS requires students to have a valid passport for travel to all program locations. Your passport must be valid for a minimum of six months following completion of your program. If you do not currently have a valid passport or if your passport will expire before the required time, you should immediately begin to apply for a passport through the U.S. Department of State website. Passport processing times can be lengthy so you should begin this process as early as possible, even if you have not yet been admitted to an SFS program.
After You Apply
Once an application is received, you will be contacted by email with information about any missing materials. If your application is incomplete, it is your responsibility to follow up on any missing materials. SFS is unable to begin the application review process until all necessary materials are received. To expedite the completion of your application, we suggest that you submit all of your application materials together.
Once your application is complete, we will contact qualified candidates to schedule a short, informal phone interview. Admissions decisions are generally available within two to four weeks of completing your application. You should apply early to allow sufficient time for your application to be processed.
Please note that final acceptance to all programs is contingent upon medical approval. You will also be sent information on completing the Medical Approval Process and the Financial Aid Application after acceptance. If you would like to check the status of your application materials received by SFS, please click the “My SFS” link to log in to your account.