After being accepted to an SFS program, all students must complete the SFS Medical Approval Process.
The SFS Medical Approval Process collects comprehensive medical information regarding the physical and mental health of students to allow SFS to best support any medical or dietary needs or restrictions of its students while they are participating on program.
The SFS Medical Approval Process is designed to inform, not to exclude. Should SFS have any concerns, the student and/or the student’s healthcare provider will be contacted to discuss the student’s capacity to participate on program. If you have any questions or concerns about this process, please contact the SFS Safety and Student Life Department.
Inaccurate or incomplete information on any of the SFS medical forms may be grounds for rescinding an offer of admission, recalling a student from the program, or restricting student participation in certain activities. In addition, students are responsible for informing SFS of any changes to their health status that occur after submission of SFS medical forms.
The following SFS medical forms are required of all students:
- Online Medical Review Form: Self-disclosure form completed by the student.
- Physical Examination and Authorization Form: To be completed by a physician, physician’s assistant, or registered nurse practitioner who is not related to the student. Required of all students.
The following SFS medical forms are required, as applicable:
- Counseling Questionnaire: To be completed by the student’s counselor. Required if a student has been in counseling for any reason within the past three years.
- Psychotropic Medication Form: To be completed by the student’s prescribing physician. Required if a student is currently taking a psychotropic medication.
- PADI Medical Statement: To be completed by a physician, physician’s assistant, or registered nurse practitioner who is not related to the student. Required only if a student is planning to participate in SCUBA on the SFS Turks and Caicos semester or summer program. If getting SCUBA certified while on program, certifying organization on the form should be listed as "The School for Field Studies" [Instructor] at the "Center for Marine Resource Studies" [Facility] in South Caicos [City], Turks and Caicos [State/Province]. The Divers Medical Questionnaire should be completed with a "Yes" or "No" for each question, or else the form will be considered incomplete.
Some SFS programs require students to receive a specific vaccination prior to program participation. For these programs, students must submit documentation of the completed vaccination to the Safety and Student Life Department prior to program departure. Students should consult their program-specific Field Prep Guide for information on whether or not SFS requires any vaccinations for program participation. The Field Prep Guide also contains a list of Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommended vaccinations.
Do not submit any SFS medical forms until you are an accepted student.
Medical Paperwork Deadlines
Please note the deadline that applies to you below:
SFS Summer I or Combined: April 15th
SFS Summer II: May 15th
SFS Fall Programs: June 15th
SFS Spring Programs: November 15th
All SFS medical forms and any required documentation of vaccinations should be submitted to the SFS Safety and Student Life Department:
- Fax to 978-232-1254 (secure line)
- Scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post to The School for Field Studies, Attn: Safety Department, 100 Cummings Center, Suite 534-G, Beverly, MA 01915